Visit this Link

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Discover How Domain Names Works For Online Businesses

I don’t know anything about you, but I’ll tell you something about my ignorance on how domain name works. But promise that you won’t laugh at my ignorance before I go into details.

I was really excited when I discovered how domain names works. Before that I only used to type a word in my internet web browser bar and click enter key on my keyboard without a second thought where this word was directed to. I really did not know anything about an IP address or about the Dot com, dot net, or dot Org. Now days I here there is another one called Dot Mob.

I did not know that names can be bought? I laughed, imagining how can one spend his precious time under the sun just selling a name like Nikenya.com, yahoo.com etc?

Things become even more sophisticated when I came across domain name parking. Oooh my God! How can one park a domain name? Do they pay this people who park domain names? Is the payment termed as city council fee? Do they hustle with getting ample parking space?

Eventually knowledge is power and through its application in a clear and concise way, it wiped all my ignorance. After absorbing enough knowledge about how domain names works, then here I am ready to wipe your ignorance too.

A bad choice of your site concept name will greatly hurt your website. Once you register it, there will be no option of editing or changing it. You will live with it. Do you know what a domain names are? Haa! Let me stop teasing you. I will break it down for you.

A domain name is an IP address which stands for ‘Internet Protocol’. In fact call a domain name An IP address. An IP address is a unique string of numbers usually shown in groups separated by periods that identifies a computer connected to the internet.It helps to find a specific website that surfers are searching for. It fetches website data from the server. They are human friendly to use.

How friendly IP addresses are? Well…………. you see, they don’t use numbers like phones do. Instead of many long numbers, they decided to use words. Words that human can simply remember. I mean these words are more human friendly than numbers.

For instance you don’t imagine remembering a number like this 66.43.58.184 but you can easily recall this one word plus suffix ‘Nikenya.com’. It is too easy to remember it till you don’t need a diary to write it down. But in reality Nikenya.com represents 66.43.58.184.

One thing that enrages me is that some surfers confuse a domain name with a URL which stands for ‘Uniform Resource Locator’. To be clear, a domain name does not have the http:// as a URL.

The URL has three parts;

The first part is the protocol. This is the stuff before the: // that is http: Which stands for hyper text transfer protocol meaning a standard system to send information. The second part is the domain which is an IP address and the third part is the request file.

The big question is who regulates or rather assigns and controls these domain names? ICANN which stands for Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers is the one which is ultimately responsible with the task of controlling domain names.

By Joshua

Resourced from

No comments:

Post a Comment